Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Beginning (Weeks 4-17)

On December 1st, 2010 I decided it was time to take a pregnancy test. I knew I was pregnant. I have been pregnant before. I was hot at night while I was sleeping and that has always been my tell -tale sign that I had a baby growing inside me. I had known for at least 5 days that I was pregnant but was nervous to test because I was not sure how Steve would feel about the news.
So that Thursday I went to the Dollar Store (my go to place for home pregnancy tests) and picked up a test. I came home and tested positive and immediately texted two good friends of mine who knew that I was really hoping for a Big Fat Positive result.
I waited a day to tell Steve because I was still so nervous about his reaction. Once I told him, he was excited, yet we were both nervous at the same time. Our children would now outnumber us. That was a scary thought!
I called the Doctor's office and they ordered me some labwork to come in and confirm the pregnancy. The next day I went to BMH to have the bloodwork done and called the office the following day. When I called, they told me that my doctor was going to be retiring come May 2011 and it would be fine for me to see him or to switch doctors at this point and keep the same doctor the entire pregnancy. I opted to switch because of my history of heightened blood pressures and mild-pre-eclampsia. I scheduled my first Doctor visit for December 28, 2010.

The pregnancy was going great. No morning sickness, or all day sickness, like I had with Andrew. No food adversions. Only the annoying waking up to pee one to three times a night. Oh, and the fatigue. December was a tired month for me. I would question if everything was okay because I felt so good otherwise. Everyone always just said "Maybe it's a girl."

We told the boys on Christmas morning that they were going to be big brothers. They were excited! But then again what kid isn't excited on Christmas morning? We gave Andrew the oppportunity to tell my family and Steve's family our exciting  news. As the excitement of Christmas wore off the boys began to pay more attention to the fact that a new baby was going to be coming into their lives. Andrew had lots of questions from the beginning like "Mommy, how old will I be when the baby comes?" " Mommy, where will the baby sleep?" "Did God know that you wanted a baby so He put one in your tummy?" "Does God know we have two boys so he thinks we want a girl this time?" Andrew also would typically refer to the baby as "she" to which we had to always say "We don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet." Lucas, on the other hand, he didn't quite get the whole "Mommy has a baby in her tummy" so instead he always said "Me have a baby in my tummy" (while he would lift his shirt of course). Lucas did go on to understand more and would always rub my belly and say "Hi Baby" and give my belly kisses.

My first OB visit was Dec. 28, 2010. I was 8 weeks and 3 days. The nurse was unable to find the heartbeat with the doppler (not uncommon for me as it was always hard at the early appointments with the other two) so she said she would have Dr. Mike use his ultrasound machine. When he wheeled that in, it was a matter of seconds and we had a heartbeat and a little beating heart on the ultrasound machine. We talked and went over the regular office visit ordeals. I told Dr. Mike that I was feeling very nervous this pregnancy and he said that was totaly normal because I have two healthy children at home and he sort of put it like this "How can God be so great to allow for 3 healthy children? But assured me that everything was looking good and totally right on track. Then, Dr. Mike explained to me how 3rd pregnancies are different than the first and second and that I will be exhausted throughout the entire pregnancy, I wlil look pregnant from very early on, and that there are risks involved with each repeat c-section. I listened and made mental notes.

January came and went. We had Andrew's 5th birthday at the end of the month. I had much more energy in January than I had in December and I welcomed that with open arms.  February 1st was my 2nd OB visit---the night before a major blizzard. I arrived early to my appointment hoping to get in early because of the snow and sure enough, I was in and out before my regular appointment time. Again at this appointment the nurse could not find the heartbeat. I was 13 weeks and 3 days so I got a little more nervous this time. I told the nurse about my worries and she said Dr. Mike would again do an ultrasound.

Dr. Mike came in and did the ultrasound and I saw the baby moving all around on the screen. It brought me joy but I had to ask him to let me hear the heartbeat because I wasn't sure what was going on. He turned the volume up and I was relieved.

The blizzard came and the next two days of school were cancelled. I had decided to use those days to make cut out cookies in the shape of a onesie. I frosted the cookies in pink and blue to take to school to announce my pregnancy to my co-workers. I also put the picture of the boys in their Packers uniforms with the note that said "We're getting a new teammate--arriving Aug. 7th 2011" next to the cookie tray. It was fun sharing the news that way rather than standing up and making the announcement at a staff meeting like I had done the previous two times.

I used the month of February to tell a few other friends/family that we were expecting another baby. I would always tell people how I felt so nervous with this pregnancy, more than any of the others and that the fact that I still felt so good made me additionally nervous.

The weeks would drag on and the time betwen my appointments always seemed to last forever. March 1, 2011 would be my next appointment at 17 weeks 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment